Whether you’re new to badminton or an experienced pro, a quality roll of badminton grip tape can make a world of difference in your game. It can wick away moisture, add texture, and help your racket feel natural and comfortable in your hand.
But with so many different options on the market, it can be tough to figure out which one you should use. Plus, how can you apply it so that it feels smooth, stays on, and lasts as long as possible?
Below, discover everything you need to know about badminton grip tape, including tips on how to apply it and the best brands to try.
How to Apply Badminton Grip Tape
The good news is that badminton grip tape is fairly simple to apply. However, there are a few pointers that can help you get the best experience — and durability — out of your product. Start by:
- Finding the thin, tapered edge of your tape. Pull off the sticker to expose the glue, and align it with the bottom of your racket handle to get started.
- If using polyurethane (PU) or other tacky overgrip, be sure to remove any plastic lining before you start wrapping.
- Tightly wrap your grip around the handle, from bottom to top. If using standard overgrip tape, you can wrap it with some overlap. But with thicker grips like towel grip, skipping the overlap can help you get a more even surface.
- Once you get to the top, trim the grip at a perpendicular angle to the racket. This way, the edge of the tape will align perfectly with the top of the handle.
If it’s your first time applying grip tape, here’s a useful step-by-step tutorial from Yumo Pro Shop to check out:
What to Look For in a Grip Tape
When it comes to badminton grip tape, every player’s preferences are unique. But in general, here are the main qualities to look for as you browse:
- Durability: While grip is relatively inexpensive and won’t need to last forever, you still want to get good use out of it. By picking trusted brands, you can ensure your grip tape lasts for dozens of training hours.
- Absorbency: A quality grip tape can wick away palm sweat and improve your handling in every match.
- Tackiness and texture: There are towel grips, polyurethane grips, and cloth grips to choose from. They all have different pros and cons, so it really comes down to the feel and texture you prefer most.
- Thickness: Each type of grip will have a different thickness. Overgrips tend to be thinner (around 0.6 mm), while replacement grips can be 1.6 mm or more.
Best Badminton Grip Tape Brands to Try
Here are some tried and true badminton grip tape brands, along with their top products to choose from:
Yonex offers some of the highest-quality grip options in the badminton world. Some of their most popular products include:
- Yonex Dry Super Grap: This is a similar option to the Yonex Super Grap, but with added sweat protection.
Another great badminton grip brand is Li-Ning, known for creating some of the best rackets, shoes, and other badminton equipment on the market.
Their GP1000 Badminton Grip Tape is a go-to, standard grip tape made of soft, shock-absorbing polyurethane. And at around $3 per roll, it offers exceptional comfort, tackiness, and durability for the price.
Gamma is another tacky, easy-to-access grip tape brand option for badminton players. Their most popular tape is the Sports Supreme Overgrip, which offers a wide variety of colors, durability, and maximum comfort to support your on-the-court performance.
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking to improve your comfort and handling on the court, badminton grip tape is well worth the investment. A good roll should hold up through several training sessions, all while absorbing shock and boosting control with every shot.
A bonus is that there are plenty of grip tapes to choose from — from towel grip when you need maximum sweat absorption to good old PU tape when you need a tackier surface. Some of the best brands include:
Ultimately, the product you choose should be whatever feels most natural to you. So, don’t be afraid to test out a few options before settling on your go-to grip tape!